Friday, January 9, 2015

All about fear

Lately I've realized just how much fear we all hold inside of us. We may not even call it that, other names include caution, stress, concern, anxiety, nervousness, and insecurity. But let's lump it all together and call it for what it really is-fear.

It's something which the Devil loves to brew up inside of us. Fear stops us from attaining our hearts desires and pursuing relationships that could change our lives. God spoke to His people about courage and told them not to fear countless times.

Often Christians use the Bible saying not to fear as a crutch, or as encouragement for one another. Granted, there are times to use it in that way. But also remember that God has never promised us that we won't suffer, or be embarrassed, or in pain or any of the situations we are typically afraid of. Just because God says Do Not Fear, doesn't mean we won't have REASON to fear. It means that in those times of trouble we can lean on Him, and we don't fear anything because as Paul says "To die is gain". With that perspective why would we ever be afraid to speak out, push ourselves, or pursue things we may fail at?

Fear entered the world early on, in fact, at the same time as sin did. No sooner had Adam and Eve eaten the fruit in the garden then they heard the Lord, and they were afraid. I believe it is safe to assume they had probably never felt fear before that moment. It caused them to hide from the Lord, to want to be separated from Him. How is that possible? How could they want to be separated from the One who gave them form and breath and all the beauty surrounding them? Because of fear. It is a powerful force.

I see it running rampant in this generation of America. I see it in a couples' eyes when they go in for an abortion because they are afraid of the responsibility which bringing forth life into this world involves. I also see fear in my heart and I believe it makes the Lord sad. How often He has told us- warned us not to fear, it must break His heart to see it continuing to thrive among His people. Where has boldness like the apostle Paul's gone? Where has courage like Queen Esther's disappeared to? It's been engulfed by a wave of small perspective and big fears which comes along with the shallow, self-focused lives that so much of our modern world has become accustomed to.

For me, at this time in my life, I'm terrified of the future. I'm afraid that my life will be lifeless, that my existence will serve no purpose. Those are fears, and they are motivated by my lack of faith. Because if I believe with all my heart that God created all, and has a plan for all, if I believe that He gave His son into the world for me so that He might adopt me into His family, if I believe that He puts the same power that RAISED Jesus from the dead inside of me when I walk  in step with the Spirit, IF I believe all of that and have complete faith in Him then how could I fear that He wouldn't make the absolute best use out of this sometimes-broken-into-pieces, short-lasting, not-always-pretty-little life that He gave to me?

If we, who call ourselves Christians, believe the Lord to be all He says He is, and that He will accomplish all He says He will then why aren't we jumping into our everyday lives with 10,0000 times more zeal and courage? I think that a lot of the reason is fear springing from a lack of faith. If we get out of ourselves and out of that self-centered fear by placing our full and absolute faith in Christ, then we can be bold for our God.  Even if our next step is unknown we can make sure that our hearts toward God are honestly willing for anything which He chooses to place in our path. That kind of faith, my friends, requires a deep love for God-the type of  love which casts out fear.

~Ab



***This post was mostly for myself honestly. God is currently shining a light on the fact that fear is a big part of my life and it has unearthed a lot of thoughts which I sort of wrote down here for clarity. Also I am aware that the run-on sentences are ridiculous and rampant in this post but sorry, I'm not sorry. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment