Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Away from Home Can be Beautiful.

It's Thanksgiving morning with a sky as blue as can be imagined and frigidly crisp air. I'm sitting at my kitchen table eating a warm scone and smelling my coffee brewing beside me. Fully overwhelmed by gratitude. It seems to be the simple aspects of life which usually remind me of joy and thankfulness, I am totally alone in the apartment-A thanksgiving morning alone may very well sound depressing to many, but I find it beautiful. Beautiful because isolation gives space for reflection. I am freely reflecting on how many people in this little world I do love and how many love me. Space from the people usually in your life can give room for perspective on how you feel about them. 

I am floored with gratitude.

Grateful  that my family loves me enough to be happy for my life out here, despite the fact it takes me far from them. Thankful also for the environment of peace and simplicity they raised me in (Yes, all 4 of them raised me) and happy that their love is something I never have reason to doubt. 

Thankful for friendships. Meditating on past years I see that in each chapter of my life thus far, there has been a group (some larger some smaller) of humans I felt truly close to. What a tremendous gift which I hope to never miss the beauty of or take for granted. People can be hard, but people are so worth it. Here in Colorado my group is small and unique, and absolutely wonderful. 

I am thankful that this little patch of the mountain was claimed by a man with the name of Zeller to become a place dedicated to learning more about the Lord-a place that would quietly, faithfully impact lives for over 40 years. The fact this tiny, impactful place is touching my life in such a big way is the sheer grace of God in my life. 

I am grateful for the natural, rugged beauty of this world and for 2 legs to explore it with. 

And lest I forget, the pie and other tastes of thanksgiving as well as the break from school are beautiful bonuses to all of the above. 

My heart swells with thanks for all these small, changeable, temporary things only because of my Savior whose love and tender care is unchangeable toward me.

1 comment:

  1. Your Dad12/05/2016

    Hello Abigail! I sure did miss you at Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to seeing you and Bennet the week of Christmas. I love you!

    ReplyDelete